Thursday, August 23, 2007

2.5 years of Anaesthetics, 1 year of Fatherhood

I can't believe it. I've just checked to see when I wrote my last blog entry and it turns out to be well over a month ago. OK, need to set this straight.

Distractions have obviously outweighed computer time recently, there has been a fair amount going on. Rachel is well, having survived yet another round of redundancies at her work; but she has had to take a new job which involves a move to a new building on the other side of town. Now Josh's nursery seems a bit of a long way round, but he's very happy there, and we like it.

Speaking of the little man, he's had his 1st birthday! Hooray! It was great fun, we had a wonderful time; we had lots of family and friends round and there were loads of cool new toys for me (Ahem, I mean Josh) to play with. He especially loves the new ball pool and the sandpit - I remember when I was little and had great fun with these things, and now I get to play again! Cool! Within the two weeks spanning his birthday he learned to walk. He is now following us about the house, wanting to play and bringing us toys. It's brilliant!

I have done my ITU module, prolonged a few more lives for a bit, and have returned to Anaesthetics. I've moved straight on to a Paediatric module, so I get to play with toys at work as well as home! It has been good to get some more experience with the little ones, they seem to be regarded as a specialty in their own right, and as such we don't get that much exposure to small people. I've learned some neat tricks - such as intubation in a spontaneously breathing person with lignocaine and a mucosal atomisation device (sounds more complicated than it is!).

The trainees have been saying for some time now that they are unhappy with the amount of training we have been receiving. We have also just had a new rota which should make us EWTD compliant and work less than 48 hours per week. However the rota is designed for 36 people and there are only 32 of us (2 short and 2 on maternity leave). I've decided that the time has come to sort it all out once and for all. We obviously need some proof of our training provision and hours compliance so I've arranged to audit both during an Hours Monitoring Period. It will be interesting to find out whether we actually are being screwed or if we are all just moaning too much!

Having been sailing a few more times recently, I've started to get the hang of it. I went out yesterday with my Dad, and helmed for a bit in a blustery environment where the wind went round in circles in certain parts of the lake. Very complicated, and regularly stranded, but we had a good time.

So that's me. I could probably say lots more, but seeing as this blog never gets read, (apart from my Pain relief in labour article) I should probably go and gas some poor kids while a dentist rips their teeth out.

Be good! BTW, good luck to Tamsin who might come by to read said pain relief article as it might be important for her soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home